Sunday, March 28, 2010

I am an atheist

I am an atheist.

I wake up every morning, I go to my job. I work hard every day.

I am friendly and courteous to my co-workers.

I come home to wife every day. I have been married 25 years. I have three children and 3 grandchildren.

I have never been convicted of any crime or even arrested.

I have never taken any illegal drugs. (though I do have a problem with the drug laws in this country)

I pay my taxes and generally obey the law though of course, as we most all do, I may speed from time to time.

One time, this last Xmas season, I found a wallet with several hundred dollars in it as well as all the other things you would typically find in a wallet, and I returned it to the owner completely intact.

And remember, I am an atheist.

And yet a no less than a former president of the United States said this once, "...I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots." George H. W. Bush.

Is not that amazing, that despite all these things about me, this asshole thinks I should not be a citizen and also I cannot be a patriot? What kind of man is this? Has he not even read the very constitution that he swore to defend? The scary thing is that between this asshole and his son they were president for 12 years.

But he is just one example of the prejudice against atheists in this country, and it is, according to polls, very widespread. I wonder why this is?

Could it be that many religious people are actually pretty intolerant?

Yeah, I think that just may be it. And they teach this intolerance to their children.

To quote Kurt Vonnegut: "And so it goes..."

No comments: